Wingham v Port City Magpies

Mick Stinson batting for Wingham. File photo.
Mick Stinson batting for Wingham. File photo.

“I will try and do my bit when needed.” These were the words of 52 year old Wingham cricket allrounder, Mick Stinson to his captain before round one of the Premier League cricket season. He wasn’t called on with bat or ball in Wingham’s easy victory over Macquarie Hotel last week.

But step up Stinson did against Port City Magpies at Oxley Oval on Saturday, steering his team to a thrilling one wicket win.

At nine down for 110 chasing Magpies 130, Stinson, on four runs, was joined at the crease by fellow vet, Steve Allwood, another determined competitor. So the saying goes, ‘cometh the hour, cometh the man’. As Allwood defended for dear life, Stinson proceeded to take advantage of any chance to score runs, firstly punching a boundary through point, then another over mid wicket to the fence.

In the next over Allwood got some pad to a ball which produced four valuable leg byes in seeing out the over.

Stinsons two boundaries forced a bowling change at the northern end with Josh Felton, who had 3/27 and one over remaining, replaced by Sean Minns. Stinson jumped on the first ball, playing a perfect cut to the pickets, leaving two to tie. The next was another shortish delivery which Stinson guided through the vacant slip cordon to the fence to secure victory, much to the delight of his team mates.

He finished 21 not out with Allwood unbeaten on zero.

Earlier, the Wingham top order struggled against the pace of Brendon Badenoch and variety of Adam Broderick on a very grassy wicket. Hayden Essery (5), Michael Rees (4), Ryan Morris (2) and Harry Clarke (9) were all out with just 40 on the board. Ben Scowen was forced to drop anchor to prevent a collapse.

But Brock Hynes broke the shackles, hitting two boundaries from Badenoch and another three before holing out at point for 25. Scowen fell just after drinks for a valuable 23. Dave Rees survived an early chance to add 21 before he fell to Felton, as did Hudson Bird (0) and Ryan Smoothy (0), to leave the script unfinished. 

Badenoch returned 3/31, Broderick 0/12, Larance 1/27 and Felton 3/27 for Magpies.

In their innings, Magpies also lost two early wickets at the hands of Dave Rees. A 46 run partnership between Ben Marron and Charles Adnum followed, with Marron striking the ball particularly well, hitting seven boundaries in making 35 before becoming Allwoods’ first wicket. Minns punished 18 off Michael Rees third over, forcing the captain to turn to Stinsons guile.

At three for 97 Magpies looked untroubled. But Stinson and Allwood had other ideas. In his first over Stinson bowled Minns. In his second he had Cocking brilliantly caught by Rees at slip for a duck whilst Allwood bowled Adnum for 15 to reduce the home team to 6 for 99 at drinks.

Stinson bowled Lipovac immediately upon resumption then claimed the final three wickets, all plumb LBW. Only Broderick showed resistance in making 28 not out, adding 20 for the last wicket, the same amount Wingham needed.

Stinson returned the brilliant figures of 5/18 from six and Allwood showed he still has something to offer at this level with 3/19 from eight. Dave Rees was the other wicket taker with 2/34.

Wingham are at home to Wauchope RSL this Saturday and will be looking for an improved batting display. Ben Scowen, Ben Cole and Hayden Essery will all be missing whilst Brad Staff’s return date is still unknown. Tim Rees is a likely replacement following his 124 in B grade.