Taree High School has teamed up with Purfleet/Taree Local Aboriginal Land Council and numerous local organisations for this year’s NAIDOC Week community awards.
This year’s awards will be especially unique as they celebrate the work and achievements of Aboriginal women in our community.
The concept runs is to adhere with this year’s NAIDOC Week theme ‘Because of her, we can’.
The awards categories are:
- Biripi Female Elder Award (Birrbay Butawang)
- Community Leadership Award (Galbaan dhanbaan)
- Gathang Talk Community Language Award (Gathang Djua)
- Community Achievement Award (Galbaan Waka)
- Sporting Woman Award (Galbaan Niingali)
- Dancing Woman Award (Galbaan Wangal)
- Performing Arts Community Award (Galbaan Baraya)
- Community Encouragement Award (Galbaan Barra)
- Community Service Award (Galbaan Ngarra)
- Strong Girl Leadership Award (Mitjigan Dhanbaan)
- Gathang Talk School Language Award (Gathang Djua)
- School Girl Achievement Award (Mitjigan)
- Sporting Girl Award (Mitjigan Niingali)
- Dancing Girl Award (Mitjigan Wangal)
- Performing Arts School Award (Mitjigan Baraya)
- School Girl Encouragement Award (Mitjigan Barra)
- School Girl Community Service Award (Mitjigan Ngarra)
Nomination close Thursday, June 14.
They must be completed and returned to Taree High School.
Meanwhile, Taree High School will hold their NAIDOC Day on Tuesday, June 19.
Celebrations will continue across the week with their NAIDOC Night event on Thursday, June 21.
The community awards will then be presented on Friday, June 22.
Visitors are advised to contact Taree High School on 6552 1166 to confirm attendance to the celebrations.