Wingham limps into semi-finals with another loss

Without a win since December, the Wingham first grade cricket side will need a huge change in attitude to arrest their form slump, heading into their preliminary semi-final against Taree West at Cedar Party Reserve this weekend.

Another first innings loss to Old Bar compounded things as Wingham’s much-vaunted batting lineup once again fell apart.

Resuming on 4/49 chasing 152, Wingham was all out for 97, handing Old Bar victory. With both sides then chasing second innings bonus points, Old Bar were rolled for just 69, leaving Wingham 125 runs to get of a minimum 21 overs. They started well but again lost cheap wickets, forcing them to close up shop to avoid outright defeat, finishing on 6/99.

Old Bar opening bowler, Dave Rees, was the star of the match claiming nine wickets, eight of those bowling off spin! He continued on from last week where he had 3/22, to snare 6/45 from 21 overs in the first innings, before taking a further 3/39 off 14 in Winghams’ second dig. He also scored 19 and 35 with the bat.

Wingham was immediately in trouble on with both overnight batsmen, Brad Staff and Ryan Williams, both out without adding to the score. Grahame Stinson was contentiously given out LBW for 6 off Ash Kippax before Matt Essery (14) and Mick Stinson (17) added 25 together. Essery was dismissed by Rees, as was his son Hayden (2) before Stinson was bowled by McSkimming to end the innings.

Rees bowled unchanged to record 6/45, whilst Kippax also bowled well to claim 2/17 off seven. 

Rees was the only batter to hit a boundary in Old Bar’s second innings, smashing two in his 35. The score was 40 when his was dismissed. Blake Polson was next best on 13.

Ryan Williams and Grahame Stinson both claimed two wickets before Brad Staff once again cleaned up the tail, taking 4/9 off nine, his second scalp bringing up 200 first grade wickets for Wingham in the process.

Beau Reed claimed 1/8.

Matt Essery and Williams hit 30 from the first 5 overs before Williams was caught for 13. Once again Ben Scowen (0) fell to Rees cheaply, as did Brock Hynes who was stumped for 4. Essery skied a catch off Hugh Polson when on 22 and Grahame Stinson drove Rees to mid-off for both catches to be taken, Wingham were again in trouble at 5/50 off 12 overs.

Brad Staff still had the victory total in mind and knocked the ball around well until, on 37, he was caught behind square leg. Mick Stinson and Wayne Smoothy saw out the remaining overs. 

Wingham finished the competition rounds in second position and meet Taree West at Cedar Party Reserve this Saturday and Sunday.

Play is due to start at 1pm both days. The winner will advance to the final against minor premiers, United, the following weekend.