Wingham Tigers report

Reserve Grade bow out

August 30

THE Reserve Grade Wingham Tigers played in the minor semi-final against the Port City Breakers on Saturday at Jack Neal Oval at Taree after the game was transferred fro Old Bar due to the rain the previous week.

The Tigers got off to a good start when Brad Sowter scored in the corner inside the first five minutes, and Nick Beacham converted from the sideline.

A penalty goal to Nick Beacham after twenty minutes extended Wingham's lead to 8-0.

About five minutes from half time, the Breakers scored in the corner, and the teams went to the break at 8-4.

Almost a quarter of an hour into the second stanza, Port City went ahead after three consecutive penalties resulted in a converted try.

After several more penalties, and a contentious knock-on call, Nick Beacham was sin-binned.

Just seconds before the Tigers were back to their full compliment, the Breakers scored from dummy half beside the posts for a 16-8 lead.

A try just before full time made the final score 20-8 to Port City, eliminating the Wingham Tigers from the competition.

Congratulations to coach Mick Dawson and his team for a good season of rugby league.

(Brad Sowter try, Nick Beacham 2 goals).

Under 18s also beaten

August 31

THE Wingham Tigers Under 18s travelled to Wauchope on Sunday to play the undefeated Port Macquarie Sharks in the major semi-final, with the winner progressing to the grand final.

The Sharks scored after five minutes to lead 6-0.

Wingham's defence repelled many raids, but held firm.

A minute from half time, Tate Grofos scored, and Ryan Morris converted to level the scores at 6-6.

Early in the second half, Mitch Collins and a Port Macquarie player were sin-binned.

The Sharks then scored three converted tries in ten minutes to lead 24-6.

With ten minutes remaining, Jake Mullen crossed for a try, and Ben Gallagher added the extra points.

The Tigers backed up immediately when Mitch Collins scored under the posts.

Ryan Morris added the extra points for a 24-18 score.

A soft penalty gave the Sharks field position.

Then a dubious penalty was converted with just a couple of minutes to go to clinch the game for Port Macquarie by 26-18.

Wingham now play Wauchope in Sunday's preliminary final to try to progress to the grand final.

(Tate Grofos, Jake Mullen, Mitch Collins tries, Ryan Morris 2, Ben Gallagher goals).