Tigers report

Heartbreaking Finish

THE final game of the Group 3 competition rounds came down to a simple formula for the Wingham Tigers: win and host the elimination semi-final; lose and play the elimination semi-final at Port Macquarie.

The opponents in Sunday afternoon's game were the Port City Breakers who have missed out on the finals.

The venue was the Regional Stadium at Port Macquarie.

It was a slow start for the Tigers who were down 10-0 after six minutes.

After a quarter of an hour, Wingham got on the scoreboard through Luke Steel.

Michael Rees added the extra points.

Ten minutes later, the Breakers hit back with two more tries to lead 22-6.

Just before the break, Mitchell Steel barged over.

Michael Rees converted the try to trail 22-12 at half time.

The second half started well for the visitors, with Mitchell Steel scoring again, and Michael Rees kicking the goal.

Midway through the half, the scores were level at 22-22 with Alex Studdert scoring in the corner.

Straight away, Port City hit back to lead 26-22.

With about twelve minutes remaining, Aaron Bakewell scored in the corner and Michael Rees converted from the sideline to put Wingham ahead for the first time in the match.

Also Port City had two players sent off, leaving them with only eleven players.

But the Breakers scored a late try, and added a penalty goal after the siren to win 34-28, dashing Wingham's hopes of hosting next weekend's semi-final.

(Mitchell Steel 2, Luke Steel, Alex Studdert, Aaron Bakewell tries, Michael Rees 4 goals).

Reserve grade

THE Tigers Reserve Grade team had already sealed second position, and were playing the fourth placed Port City.

An early try to the Breakers gave them a 6-0 lead.

Five minutes later, Ben Welsh, returning from injury, barged over to make the score 6-4.

When Brendan Butler scored, and Nick Beacham added the extra points, Wingham led 10-6.

Back-to-back tries to the home team gave the Breakers an 18-10 advantage at half time.

Another try to Port City after the break made the score 18-10.

Two tries in the final three minutes made the final score 32-10 to the home team.

(Ben Welsh, Brendan Butler tries, Nick Beacham goal).

Under 18s

A WIN to Wingham's Under 18s would seal second position for the young Tigers.

First half tries to Shannon Ellem, Reece Slaven, Blake Fraser and Mitch Collins, with three conversions to Ben Gallagher, gave the Tigers a 22-0 half time lead.

Blake Fraser and Mitch Collins added second half tries, both converted by Ben Gallagher, gave Wingham a 34-0 advantage midway through the stanza.

A layer try to the home team made the final score 34-4.

(Blake Fraser 2, Mitch Collins 2, Shannon Ellem, Reece Slaven tries, Ben Gallagher 5 goals).

League tag

THE Wingham Ladies League Tag finished the season with a good 24-4 win over the higher ranked Port City team.

The Tigers led 16-4 at half time with tries to Maraea Wynyard, Courtney Morris, Natalie Watson and Sharni Allan.

Courtley Mancell scored twice after the break to complete their second win of the year.

(Courtley Mancell 2, Maraea Wynyard, Courtney Morris, Natalie Watson, Sharni Allan tries).