Wingham Tigers Report

Tough Trip To Kempsey

THE Wingham Tigers had the toughest road trip in Group 3 Rugby League to play the front-runners the Macleay Valley Mustangs.

The game had barely started, when the Mustangs scored to lead 6-0.

A few minutes later, back to back tries made the score 18-0 after a quarter of an hour.

Another set of back to back tries pushed the score out to 30-0 ten minutes before the break.

Blake Sky looked to have put the Tigers on the scoreboard, only to have the last pass called forward.

The second half did start better for the visitors with Aaron Bakewell scoring in the corner.

Michael Rees nailed the sideline conversion to make the score 30-6.

Macleay Valley struck back five minutes later to lead 34-6.

Ten minutes later, back to back tries to the Mustangs made the score 46-6.

With Wingham attacking in the final minute, a 90 metre intercept made the final score 52-6.

(Aaron Bakewell try, Michael Rees goal).

Reserve Grade

THE Reserve Grade game followed a similar script with the Mustangs racing to a 28-0 lead after 25 minutes.

Just before the break Piripi Parangi barged over near the posts, and Nick Beacham added the extra points.

The second half saw the home team score five more tries to win 58-6.

(Piripi Parangi try, Nick Beacham goal).


THE only joy for the Tigers came in Under 18s.

Shannon Ellem scored early for a 4-0 lead.

But Macleay Valley began to dominate scoring twice to lead 8-4 at the break.

Wingham took the lead five minutes into the second half with a try to Chad Lonsdale, converted by Ben Gallagher.

Another try to Shannon Ellem made the score 14-8.

Ryan Morris scored inside the final five minutes, only to have the Mustangs retaliate immediately.

The Tigers held on for a good 18-14 win.

(Shannon Ellem 2, Chad Lonsdale, Ryan Morris tries, Ben Gallagher goal).

League Tag

THE Wingham Ladies League Tag were very unlucky to lose in the final couple of minutes.

Belinda Blanch scored early before the Mustangs levelled the scores twenty minutes later.

With that Rhiannon Fuller was sin-binned.

A try right on the bell by Rikki Salmon, which she converted, gave the Tigers a 10-4 lead at the break.

With a player down, Wingham conceded two early tries after the break to trail 14-10.

But a try five minutes later by Rhiannon Fuller, which she converted gave Wingham a slender 16-14 advantage.

A late try to the Mustangs gave them victory by 20-16.

(Belinda Blanch, Rikki Salmon, Rhiannon Fuller tries, Rikki Salmon, Rhiannon Fuller goals).

This coming Saturday the Wingham Tigers are at home for the final time this season against the Forster Tuncurry Hawks.

First Grade, Reserve Grade and Under 18s are all semi-final bound.

Come out and support your local team.