Rugby League: Victory In Spiteful Clash

THE Tigers travelled to "the graveyard" at Old Bar to take on the Pirates on Sunday afternoon.

Wingham started the game well with a try to Tim Bridge recovering a chip kick from his brother Matt. Michael Rees added the extra points for a 6-0 advantage.

Old Bar Beach hit back straight away to level the scores at 6-6.

Ten minutes into the game, Matt Bridge chipped and regathered and off-loaded to Michael Richards who scored beside the posts. The conversion by Michael Rees made the score 12-6.

Midway through the half, Blake Sky scored in the corner, and Michael Rees' sideline conversion made the score 18-6.

Five minutes later, Tim Bridge scored again, and the Tigers had a 22-6 lead.

But a drop in intensity saw the Pirates score three tries in ten minutes to go to half time at 22-22.

When Old Bar Beach scored in the first minute of the second half, they took the lead 26-22.

Five minutes later, Michael Richards was sin-binned, leaving the Tigers with just twelve players for ten minutes.

However, Wingham scored in the corner with another try to Blake Sky to level the scores.

Soon after the game erupted, and two Pirates players were sin-binned within a minute.

With Wingham back to their full number, Luke Steel strolled through a weakened defence to score a try, which he converted.

Before the kick-off, another Old Bar player was sin-binned, reducing the home team to ten players.

Blake Sky then made it a hat-trick of tries, when he caught a cross-field bomb from Luke Steel to score in the corner.

Then Tim Watson scored under the posts without a hand touching him. Luke Steel added the extra points to lead 42-26.

The home team were back to their full compliment when Logan Pocklington was sin-binned with ten minutes remaining.

The Pirates scored two late tries in opposite corners, but the Tigers held on to win 42-34.

(Blake Sky 3, Tim Bridge 2, Michael Richards, Luke Steel, Tim Watson tries, Michael Rees 3, Luke Steel two goals).

THE Reserve Grade game saw the home team score twice about two thirds of the way through the first half to lead 10-0.

A try just before half time to Brendan Butler beside the posts, converted by Shaun Chapman made the score 10-6 at the break.

Another try to Brendan Butler, and then Robert MoiMoi, both converted by Shaun Chapman, gave Wingham an 18-10 advantage.

Midway through the stanza, Nick Beacham scored, and then five minutes later Scott Price scored in the corner, and the Tigers lead 26-10.

But in the final ten minutes, with two Wingham players in the sin-bin, the Pirates came home with three tries to level the game at 26-26.

(Brendan Butler 2, Robert MoiMoi, Nick Beacham, Scott Price tries, Shaun Chapman three goals).

THE Under 18s game was another close contest. Wingham led 4-0 at the break with a Shannon Ellem try.

An early second half try to Old Bar Beach gave the home team a 6-4 lead.

Minutes later, Sam Bartlett scored under the posts, and Ryan Morris added the extra points for a 10-6 advantage.

With ten minutes remaining, Ryan Morris added a penalty goal.

Five minutes later, the Pirates levelled the scores at 12-12.

Another penalty goal by Ryan Morris inside the final two minutes was enough to give the Tigers a 14-12 victory.

(Shannon Ellem, Sam Bartlett tries, Ryan Morris three goals).

Old Bar Beach were too strong in the Ladies League Tag, winning 24-0 after leading 18-0 at half time.

NEXT Saturday the Tigers are at home at the Wingham Sporting Complex against the early competition leaders, the Macleay Valley Mustangs. League Tag kicks off at 11.30am, followed by Under 18s and Reserve Grade, with First Grade at 3pm.