Cricket - all grades

WITH no play possible the previous week following the much needed rain, Wingham first grade played host to a depleted Great Lakes side at Cedar Party Reserve on Saturday.

With the match reduced to a one day format, Wingham had first use of the ball after losing the toss. Great lakes electing to bat lost Scott Orchid early to Jonathon Craig-Dobson without scoring. Chris Weaver joined Paul Swann at the crease and set about trying to hit Daine Williams into another post code, which was without a doubt the highlight of the Great Lakes innings. Almost successful on a couple of occasions, he quickly fell victim to Williams being bowled for 16.

Swann, in good form of late, lost partners in Allan May (0), Damien Bestwick (11), Paul Leschenko (7) to Craig-Dobson, Williams and Rhys Kliendienst respectively. Swann eventually fell to Wayne Smoothy for 37 and Gary lambert was the last batsmen to be dismissed on 19 giving Craig-Dobson the figures of 3-20 off 6.4 overs. Other bowling figures for Wingham, Williams 2/32(8), Stinson 0/19(8), Kliendienst 1/10(5), Smoothy 1/14(3) and Barber 0/8(2).

Great Lakes all out for 106.

Wingham's Jackson and Jake Mullen set about the run chase in a positive fashion playing shots to all parts of the ground. Leschenko broke the 66 run opening partnership with the wicket of Jake (36) followed by Jackson for 28. Allan May dismissed Ryan Morris (6) and Dan Barber (9) leaving Brock Hynes (9 no) and Smoothy (6 no) to complete the chase.

Bowling for Great Lakes, Bestwick 0/33(4), Weaver 0/43(6), Leschenko 2/16(4) and May 2/16(2).

Wingham now have the bye leading into the final series in a fortnight's time.

WINGHAM'S second grade cricket team were at home at Central Park on Saturday against Cundletown. This was the second day of the match that had been reduced to a one day format of 40 overs per side as there was no play possible on the first day due to rain. 

Cundletown won the toss and elected to bat. Steve Allwood opened the bowling and in the first over a brilliant piece of fielding by Robby Hynes resulted in a run out with a direct hit from square leg to the bowlers end and the visitors were 1/4 at the end of the over. 

Tye Brislane shared the new ball with Allwood and struggled to get into a rhythm. Cundletown were on top with the big hitting Kelly and their captain JJ Burton dominating the bowling. Allwood was bowling without luck and Mitch Niven who had been introduced to the attack started well, but was unable to break through. 

In the 10th over with the score at 1/70 Scott Blanch was introduced into the attack and along with Niven went about trying to make the break through. In the 15th over Blanch had Burton caught at mid-off by Hynes and then in the 17th over Luke Steel took a catch of Blanch's bowling. 

The 18th over saw Niven pick up a well-deserved wicket, then again in the next over Cundletown lost another wicket from the bowling of Blanch which saw the visitors 5/132 at the 20 over drink break. 

Wingham knew they needed to take wickets after the break to ensure they weren't going to have to chase a huge target. Brislane was brought back straight after the interval and had immediate results in dismissing the dangerous Kelly who was well caught by Steel on the boundary for 74. Allwood was also brought back and he too had success by picking up his first wicket, Brislane took the remaining two wickets and Cundletown had been dismissed for 138 after 24 overs.

Bowling figures were Allwood 1/35, Brislane 3/37, Niven 1/42 and Blanch 3/13.

With an under strength batting line up Wingham set about chasing down the total with Joel Kliendienst and Jessie Newman opening the batting and had a disastrous start when Kliendienst was adjudged LBW for no score off a doubtful decision of the second ball of the innings. These brought Niven to the crease and along with Newman were looking good together until the seventh over when Niven was also LBW for 20 and Wingham were 2/27. 

Newman was looking solid at the crease and he was joined by Hynes and together they steadied the ship and had added 49 before Newman was stumped for 28. Jye Kliendienst was next man in and with Hynes took the score to 95 before Hynes fell in the 19th over for well-made 31. Brislane joined Kliendienst and Wingham went to the drinks break in a solid position at 4/96. But after the break Kliendienst was out for 15. Steel was next man in and he was off the mark in a bizarre all run five. Brislane was next man out for three and the score was 6/113 after 23 overs. Steel was joined by Allwood and the pair had moved the score to 135 when Steel was caught on the boundary for a brilliant cameo of 21. Blanch came to the wicket with four runs required for the win to join Allwood, but two balls later Allwood holed out on the boundary as well. Michael Dawson joined Blanch and together scored the remaining runs for victory, with Dawson two not out and Blanch four not out. 

The Australian Hotel player of the match was Luke Steel with his knock of 21 and a couple of crucial catches. 

Next week will see Wingham at home again against Great Lakes in a two day match.

WINGHAM third grade lost its first match in six weeks, after a 44 run loss to Taree West. 

After a controlled effort the Wingham bowlers let Taree West getaway in the final overs with Chris Hollis 35 not out (no) and P Gilbert 51no driving Taree West to a competitive total of 9/188. 

Fletcher Lewis 2/34 (8) and Bruce Bird 2/36(8) were the best of the Wingham bowlers. 

Wingham was unable to gain momentum in the chase, losing early wickets and collapsing to 4/36. Blake Sky 34no and Fletcher Lewis 25 fought hard as the rest of the Wingham batsmen struggled to compete against Taree West's tight bowling. 

Wingham remain in the top four, but will be searching for better form against Mt George next weekend at Ken Malpass Field.