Cricket: All grades

WINGHAM claimed a vital first innings victory over top of the table leaders United in the Manning first grade cricket match.

Play resumed with Wingham 9/245 with Ryan Morris (11) and Rhyce Kleindeinst (0) looking to score some quick and early runs.

United however had other ideas with Jackson Witt bowling Morris (12) to claim his fourth wicket of the match to leave Wingham all out for 253, Kleindeinst was six not out.

Laurie Weeks and United captain Ricky Campbell opened the batting against Wingham's Daine Williams and Jonathon Craig-Dobson. Wingham started strongly, especially Williams as he removed both Weeks (four) and new batsman Matt Kennewell (two) early on. Weeks was caught brilliantly by Jake Mullen, whereas Kennewell was trapped in front LBW.

Matt Collier joined Campbell at the crease but the pair were both removed in succession with Collier (10) caught Morris to give Williams his third wicket. Campbell after a bright start was bowled by a hooping yorker by Kleindeinst for 28.

Dean Mills and JJ Burton were the new batsmen at the wicket and the pair dug in an attempt to salvage the run chase for United.

The pair kept the runs flowing putting away the loose balls offered up by the Wingham bowling attack and keeping out the tighter lined deliveries.

After a 48 run stand from the pair Burton (17) chipped his drive back to Brad Staff for a simple caught and bowled wicket. Sean Carr came and went becoming Staff's second victim being caught by Michael Stinson.

Michael Couch joined Mills with United flailing at 6/98. Mills (63) continued on in an aggressive manner bringing up his half-century before his defiant knock was brought undone by Staff who had him caught by 'Captain Courageous' Carney.

Couch would turn out to be the mainstay for the rest of the United innings with the last three batsmen, Tom Burley, Maitlan Brown and Jackson Witts, all showing promise to stay around but this didn't eventuate with Staff removing Burley (seven) for his fourth wicket in his return match.

Wayne Smoothy was introduced to the attack and brought immediate results removing Brown (10) and Witts (nine) who was stumped by Williams.

Couch remained not out on 39. United were all out for 195. Best bowling for Wingham: Staff 4/38 off 12, Williams 3/41 off 11 and Smoothy 2/11 off 2.2.

Wingham elected to bat again in the chase to claim more bonus points. Witts again caused headaches for Wingham's top order removing both Jake (four) and Jackson (nine) Mullen and also bowling Staff (one). Wingham again were in trouble at 3/16 with Williams and Craig-Dobson now at the wicket.

Some lusty hitting by Williams moved Wingham quickly to the desired mark of 80 runs for the bonus point. Williams hit three fours and three sixes with all sixes being hit of the bowling of Mills.

Williams was unfortunately run out by Kennewell with score at 4/54 with Smoothy now joining Craig-Dobson out in the middle. The pair guided Wingham's total past 80 claiming the desired bonus point, Craig-Dobson remaining not out for (14) and Smoothy not out for (16).

Jackson Witts was the best of the United bowlers finishing with 3/12 off eight overs.

The Australian Hotel's player of the match was Daine Williams.

With this win Wingham's chances of making the top two stay alive and they will now play Great Lakes next week in a must win two-dayer before having a bye to round out the regular season.

ON a very warm afternoon the Wingham second grade side resumed their innings against Old Bar at Cedar Party Reserve.

Continuing on at two for 70 Mitch Niven (23 ot out) and Dennis Smith (18 not out) looked to move the score as close as they could to Old Bars first innings of 195.

The score moved along to 90 before Niven was caught and bowled for 36 and the score now at 3/90.

Robby Hynes joined Smith at the wicket and had advanced the score to 106 when Smith was caught for 31. Steve Allwood joined Hynes and with the score on 116 Allwood was out for five and Wingham now were five wickets down.

Jessie Newman then joined Hynes and together took the score to 131 when Hynes was caught for 19, and 195 looked a long way off as Wingham were now 6/131. This brought Wingham's captain Matt Essery and 'inform batsmen' to the crease and the pair set about resurrecting the run chase.

After a shaky start Essery found his feet and the pair were scoring at ease with Essery playing some great shots to the boundaries and Newman rotating the strike Wingham was quickly closing in on the target.

With the score on 201 Newman was stumped for a well-made 19. With Newman's dismissal Essery upped the ante and punished any wayward bowling. Tye Brislane came and went for a duck and Scott Blanch soon followed for three and Wingham were now 9/232. Joel Kleindeinst joined Essery and they took the score to 263 before Kleindeinst was dismissed without scoring, but he had done his job and had helped Essery reach his third consecutive century as he remained 108 not out. His innings was a class act with shots to all parts of the ground, although the dry conditions and fast outfields have exaggerated some of the scores, the batsmen still have to hit the shots to do this. Wingham had secured first innings points.

With an hour and half to play and the chance of picking up extra bonus points Old Bar went back into bat. Wingham's objective was to pick up as many wickets as they could. By mutual agreement both captains called an end to play at 5.30 with Old Bar 4/79. Wingham's wicket takers in the second innings were Allwood 2/20, Brislane 1/16, and Hynes 1/2. The Australian Hotel's player of the match was Matt Essery. Next week Wingham are at home against Cundletown at Central Park.

Fourth consecutive win

WINGHAM third grade scored its fourth consecutive win with a narrow victory against Taree Leagues/Wherrol Flat at Central Park. After losing the toss, Wingham held their opposition to 161 with the the bowlers sharing the wickets - Fletcher Lewis 2/7(6), Faron Saxby 2/12 (3), Leigh Niven 2/16(4) and Josh Essery 2/22 (6). Shane Manny and Bruce Bird also picked up a wicket each with Bird snaring the crucial early wicket of Aaron Murray.

Wingham started poorly and at one stage were 6/72 before a defiant 62 run partnership between skipper Leigh Niven (45) and Fletcher Lewis (33no) steered Wingham to a two wicket victory with five overs to spare. Faron Saxby also contributed a valuable 31 at the top of the order.

Wingham moves to third place on the ladder with six teams battling out the final four rounds to make the finals.